It happened again.
I had every intention of planning out new Thanksgiving designs and shopping around for the cutest and newest Thanksgiving cookie cutters. And then life happened. Wasn't Easter just yesterday?! Where did the time go?
Needless to say, I turned to my old trusty creative cutter skills to bail me out once again. I was able to freshen up my Thanksgiving designs, and I didn't need new cutters after all!
If you are a design procrastinator like me, and if you have one of these Sweet Sugarbelle cutters, you too can make the most adorable Turkey Pilgrim! There's a slight difference between the cutters (the red one is slightly smaller and the outside curves are not even), but it will still work for this design!
I used the aqua-colored cutter (one on the left) for my Turkey Pilgrim, upside down of course!
Here's what you'll need:
* baked cupcake cookie shapes using your favorite roll-out cookie recipe
* Royal icing, in the following colors and consistencies:
Brown: 20 second
Black: loose piping (maybe around 25-seconds?)
Gray: 20 second, and piping if you want to line the hat brim
White: 20 second
Yellow: loose piping, like the black color
Red: 20 second
* edible food marker (optional). If you use a projector, you can omit this step!
1. Sketch the basic lines of the Turkey Pilgrim with the edible marker. The sketch for the Turkey Pilgrim is here.
2. Pipe the head of the turkey with brown icing. Pipe the hat band and exposed shirt with the black icing. Allow these sections to dry well.
3. Lots of details can be made at this step! Pipe the hat, beak, eyes, shirt collar, eyebrows. Allow these sections to dry.
4. Final steps! Make sure that the underlying icing is dried well, to help prevent color bleed. Pipe the waddle and buckle. I trimmed the hat brim with gray icing. That's it!
This Turkey Pilgrim will definitely make his way to my Thanksgiving table for years to come. He might just be the star of the Thanksgiving Dinner Show!
But Thanksgiving is all about family and friends!
I am thankful and blessed to have the means to share my cookie journey with you! Thank you for coming along with me! Happy Thanksgiving!
11/14/2018 07:17:38 pm
Thanks so much for sharing; this has been just what I needed. I’m doing my first Thanksgiving set and I was thinking about try pilgrims, the funny thing is I baked also a few cupcakes shapes ( with the red cutter) just because and now thanks to you it will totally complement my set! Yeeeeeah!
11/14/2018 07:22:30 pm
Excellent tutorial, so clever! Thank you
4/6/2019 04:57:45 pm
These cookies are so cute. What cutters did you use for the pilgrim boy and girl. Thank you.
Amy Clough'D 9 Cookies
4/7/2019 10:29:50 am
The pilgrim girl is a cutter from Sweet Sugarbelle's Shape Shifter 2 set, the pilgrim boy is also Sweet Sugarbelle- The Autumn Shape Shifter collection.
Leave a Reply.
I'm Amy. Wife, Mom, former science teacher- and now full time cookie baker on Maryland's Eastern Shore. Pull up a chair and we'll create! I'll bring the coffee- maybe Mike (The Cookie Widower) will make it for us.